The Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Crop Plant Research was founded in 1943, incorporated into the GDR Academy of Sciences in 1948 and re-established as IPK in 1992. Over the course of the Institute’s 75 years existence, it has developed into a world-leading plant research centre. Its current population of 180 scientists and 60 PhD students come from more than 30 countries.
|1943||Founded as the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Crop Plant Research in Tuttendorf (near Vienna), with Hans Stubbe as its first director.|
|1945||Relocated to Stecklenberg/Harz due to war exigency, and settled in Gatersleben in October of that year.|
Affiliated with the University of Halle-Wittenberg, while retaining the name Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Crop Plant Research.
Incorporated into the German Academy of Sciences in Berlin (DAW) as the DAW Institute for Crop Plant Research.
|1948-1964||Construction of the Gatersleben campus buildings.|
|1970||Renamed as the DAW Central Institute for Genetics and Crop Plant Research (ZIGuK); in 1972 its affiliation was changed from DAW to the GDR Academy of Sciences (AdW).|
|1992||Re-constituted as the Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research (IPK).|
|Merger with the Braunschweig Gene Bank to form the Federal Ex situ Gene Bank for Agricultural and Horticultural Crops, based at IPK.|
|2006||Renamed as the Leibniz Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research.|
|2019||The Leibniz Association Senate certified the Institute's excellence, in recognition of it status as one of the world's leading plant research institutes.|
|2021||Plant Cultivation Hall for creating controlled but field-like conditions becomes fully functional|
|1943 - 1969||Prof. Dr. Drs. h. c. Hans Stubbe|
|1969 - 1983||Prof. Dr. Helmut Böhme|
|1983 - 1989||Prof. Dr. Dieter Mettin|
|1990 - 1991||Prof. Dr. Klaus Müntz|
|1992 - 2007||Prof. Dr. Ulrich Wobus|
|since 2007||Prof. Dr. Andreas Graner|